Always Putting The Best
Interests Of The Client First

Are college expenses a part of child support?

On Behalf of | Jan 7, 2021 | Child Support

Many parents in California are aware that child support is meant to cover the child’s basic necessities. However, some parents are not aware of the additional expenses that child support needs to provide for. Divorced parents may wonder about the intersection between child support and college tuition.

According to some family courts, child support goes beyond the 18th birthday until the child is 21 years old. If the child is 21 and still in college, the child support payments may extend until the child is through with school. However, the payments will stop once the child is 23 regardless of whether they are through with college or not. While the child is in college, the court can consider a couple of factors that may recommend child support.

Child support for college students

Many states require both parents to contribute to child support. The main contributions include medical care, education, clothing, food and other essentials. In some cases, the parents may contribute to the child’s extracurricular activities.

College is an expensive venture for both parents and students. Once parents divorce, the court may order each parent to contribute a certain percentage of their income to the child’s tuition fees. Many states require both parents to pay half the amount of tuition fees.

Factors considered when determining child support for university students

The main factor considered is the financial dependence of the child. If the child lives alone and requires no financial assistance, the judge may rule against them receiving child support. In such cases, the child is emancipated, and the college fees are referred to as an unreasonable burden to the parent. The financial situation of the parents is also considered. This will determine the type of economic aid required.

Child support is often used to pay for college tuition fees. However, numerous factors are considered. If you are in such a situation, contact an attorney for help understanding the full details of your state laws.